DIaBEtic DEW555

>>50<<::.ye(AR)S__I-S ALONgti=mETO#HAteyouRWIFe°°°°°

Google

mercoledì 20 aprile 2011

Interview with Mariel Clayton






q)Who are you? Where are you from and where do you live now?

a)I am originally from South Africa, but now I live just outside of Toronto, Canada. I work as a travel agent and do this as my hobby.

q)What is it that you do? What media do you use?

a)I take Barbie dolls and props and set them up in Dioramas and then photograph them. My medium is really just dolls!

q)What do you think sets your work apart?

a)What sets my work apart is, unlike other doll photographers my work is a lot more detailed - and the scenery/backdrops etc are a lot more involved. I feel that my photography encourages more story-telling, and really encourages the viewer to investigate what is going on.

q)How long have you been showing your work for? Did you have a “big break?”

a)I have been taking these pictures for the last 2 years and putting them up on my Flickr webpage - but I only officially started 'showing' my work 2 months ago at the 5 Pieces Gallery in Switzerland. I don't know if this is my 'big break' yet or not - it's too early to tell.

q)What are some things that have inspired you?

a)I am inspired a lot by current events recently, especially what had been happening in Japan. Usually I take my inspiration just from the things that are around me, music, paper patterns, people etc. My biggest inspiration would have to be the Cartoonist/Illustrator Carl Giles - an English War Cartoonist who worked in a one-panel format and absolutely filled every corner with details and stories. He has taught me to pay attention to everything in the frame, the main focal point, and all the minor ones as well.

q)What have you been working on recently?

a)My most recent set is called 'Twenty-Five Rooms' - I am working in a Square format with a limited amount of space to try and approach story-telling in a different way. I am trying to recreate all the facets of the human, and our personal experiences.

q)Do you listen to music while you create your work? If so, would you give some examples?

a)Sometimes - I listen to a really wide variety, but I enjoy Lily Allen, the Beatles, Arcade Fire, most recently I've been listening to the musical score from 'Sherlock Holmes' which I really enjoy!

q)Do you do work in any other media? Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?

a)I do paint a little, but I haven't had much time recently. My favourite artistic medium is pen and ink - I really enjoy doing those.

q)What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?

a)I've only just begun to show my work, so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice!

q)Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?

a)At the moment, I have an online 'exhibition' at the 5 Pieces Gallery.

q)Where can people see more of your work on the internet?

a)My personal website is - www.thephotographymarielclayton.com

or - http://www.5piecesgallery.com/category/mariel-clayton

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page