DIaBEtic DEW555

>>50<<::.ye(AR)S__I-S ALONgti=mETO#HAteyouRWIFe°°°°°

Google

martedì 3 febbraio 2009

Interview with Bruce New





q)Please introduce yourself.


a)Bruce New, dreamer


q)Where do you live and work?


a)I currently reside in the wilds of Kentucky,

with a bird and our son, on a mountain top,

right next to the sun, where I create my work high

on butterfly wine


q)How would you describe your work to someone

who has never seen it?


a)Visual dreams in primary colors and black lines


q)How did you start in the arts?

How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)By failing at most everything else.

I have this obsessive-compulsive need to make

things,I am not really sure where the need comes

from, some defect in character I suspect


q)What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)Lately pen, paper, and collage.

They are all easy to obtain materials

and rather inexpensive


q)What/who influences you most?


a)Love, dreams, music, poetry,

everyday life, my beautiful wife and son


q)Describe a typical day of art making

for you.


a)I try to be in the studio every morning

by seven.

I pace around a lot, look at the things

I have been working on, force myself

to get started, make a line, perhaps another,

try to find the “form”, it is usually hit and

miss with me, some days are better than others.

I take a break around midday, eat lunch,

check emails, perhaps a short nap.

Back in the studio by one or so,

work until dinner or later depending

on how well everything is going


q)Do you have goals, specific things

you want to achieve with your art or

in your career as an artist?


a)Not really. I just want to work, to hone

my skills, to hopefully grow as an artist,

and a human being. I know it is a long shot

but I have time


q)What contemporary artists or

developments in art interest you?


a)For the last couple of years I have been

heavily influenced by the whole “outsider” low-brow,

underground, street-art movement.

I am not sure if that makes sense, but

I think most people interested in the

contemporary art scene will know where

I am coming from


q)How long does it typically take you

to finish a piece?


a)Depending upon the size of the piece,

a few hours to a few days


q)Do you enjoy selling your pieces,

or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)Yes and no. it is nice to be validated

by monetary sales, but I usually just blow

the money and end up wishing I had the work back.

Every once in awhile i will make a piece, and think,

this one

is mine, i would rather have it than money,

but the feeling usually fades in a day or two,

or by the time the bills arrive


q)Is music important to you?

If so, what are some things

you're listening to now?


a)yes, very: Miles Davis, Wilco, Iron and Wine,

Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Black Keys,

Sabbath, Modest Mouse, Mc5, Ray Lamontagne,

Wagner, John Cage, Philip Glass.

Blues, jazz, reggae, punk, classical, bluegrass, country,

I admire someone in almost every genre


q)Books?


a)Here are a few of my favourite writers:

Henry Miller, John genet, Richard Brautigan,

Hubert Selby Jr., Hermann Hesse, Louis-Ferdinand Celine,

Burroughs. I have always been attracted

to madness and chaos it seems


q)What theories or beliefs do you

have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)I heard a friend, seattle artist Jack Daws,

once state that his only regret in life was

that he would not live long enough to refute his last belief.

I always found a lot of merit in that statement


q)What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing)

when you're not creating?


a)My life is basically centered around my work.

I am a bit of a recluse, I am not a consumer,

I just make art and spend time with my family


q)Do you have any projects or shows coming

up that you are particularly excited about?


a)Well I am happy to be doing this interview with you,

Medium Magazine will be posting some of my work

in their upcoming spring issue,

I will have a few pieces in an upcoming group

show at the hive gallery in Los Angeles


q)Do you follow contemporary art scenes?

If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries

do you prefer?


a)I try to keep up as best I can.

The House of Tate is a cool site, the Lumper, Boonika,

your site The Extra Finger, Proteus Mag, Art Renegades,

Art in America, Juxtapoz, Beautiful Decay, Raw Vision.

The usual stuff


q)Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer,

and answer it.


a)I don’t know? How’s it hanging?

To which I would reply “pretty good, I guess”


q)Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)Do the best you can, stay disciplined,

find yourself in the work. Don’t be a poser,

it gives working artists a bad name and makes

you look sad


q)Where can we see more of your work online?


a) www.thehouseoftate.com


www.artrenegades.com


www.discosalt.com


www.boonika.com


www.mungbeing.com


www.blanketmagazine.com


www.brucenew.com

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page