DIaBEtic DEW555

>>50<<::.ye(AR)S__I-S ALONgti=mETO#HAteyouRWIFe°°°°°

Google

venerdì 15 febbraio 2013

Interview with Inga Liksaite






q) For the people who don't know your work - how would you describe it ?

a)I make sewings which are most often two-color graphic drawings. Sewing machine I see as a proper tool to draw in stitches, to create a new surface, a texture, a picture. That way allows me to merge my eye-mind imagination with a passion for texturing.

q) What are the key themes running through your practice?

a)In my practice I like continuation, but together - rolling around and back to the same. So maybe the key-themes may be called slow motion and repetition. For instance, I am sewing folds and giving them three dimention perspective, I form them by using horizontal line rhyme, it contradicts the fold sequence direction, which gives the whole picture a depth and vibration, attracts to explore a whole image and a surface in detail. I use it in all my motives, such as faces, folds or circles. I wish my works were not to shock but to balance.

q) Your favorite place on earth?

a)A place where I am at that moment

q) What influences your work?

a)A bit of all what I meet on my way, it is visual thinking in general situation and everywhere I go. Whatever: photography, cinema, walls, light, good discussion, people. I am also mad about textures, surface tactuallity, simple linen makes me inspired if it falls softly and heavily, gets nice light effects. Probably this combination of observing and crafting lays down and reflects on my canvases.

q)  What music are you into right now?

a)I am listening always a whole bunch of things. Often happens the day starts with radio classic, if they give me Swan Lake, I am thrilled. Then I like to check out what's up on Sound Cloud. After watching Django Unchained I found out to me this guy Jim Croce who died young in '70s. Nearby all I have most favorite recent composers, I can listen to them whenever and for ever, their works somewhat fit my tune, taste and understanding of sound:

Nr.1 is Bustler
Nr.2 is Jonny Ripper
Nr.3 is Darius Green
they all might be found on Soundcloud.com

q) Describe your thought & design process...

a)It is somewhat that I pick an image to use and thinking parallel about the way how it will be converted into the stitches. Hard to say what comes first, particular image or the whole concept of a canvas. Often I keep in my mind the whole canvas impression in advance. I carry a smoky idea of the whole picture including its' size, color amount, idea of composition. Then I start drawing and editing with a software and get more precise in every detail, adjust technical part. I always prepare several versions to pick one at the end. Then choosing a proper thread size and background fabric texture, so the stitch lays nice way on it. My works are mostly graphic images made of two colors, I am choosing carefully a relation of background and stitch color, also tensity of lines, to receive a wanted sfumato and chiaroscuro effect. At the end it is very technical and dry part to make it real and to stitch precisely.
Also there are other works which have a preliminar plan, but after experimenting directly on a canvas, using all predictable and coincidental together, gets a new way during the process, dictates further ideas, it always takes more time than expected and makes feel like an explorer. In circles I see endless possibilities when painting or sewing them. Happens that I have a nice piece of linen or wool prompting itself for what should come on it, so I work straight on it.

q) Which emerging artists are you looking forward to seeing more of?

a)I really like japanese artist Macoto Muroyamas' botanical drawings. I'm blown away about these thin and precise lines, cross-sections and measure notes of real nature plants, they are beautiful.
Also Monika Grzymala, I am not sure if one may call her emerging, she is emerged and established. I love her tape installations.

q) Favorite place on the internet?

a)I would like to burn internet ha ha

q) Do you have any upcoming projects/exhibitions we should know about?

a)I am working on a new big piece. It is time consuming and also a challenge to me. But it's to early to talk about it. And I am making a year break without exhibitions, so at the moment no shows scheduled. I will start thinking about it again when some fresh works are finished.

q) Tell us something we don't know - but should...

a)Have no idea how to impress:)

q) Where can people see more of your work on the internet?

a)Many of my works are here: liksaite.blogspot.com

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page