DIaBEtic DEW555

>>50<<::.ye(AR)S__I-S ALONgti=mETO#HAteyouRWIFe°°°°°

Google

martedì 22 gennaio 2008

Interview with Tom Durham

q)Name?

a)Tom Durham

q)Location?

a)Philadelphia,
2472 Frankford Ave.

Philadelphia,
PA. 19125

q)Contact info.?

a)website:
www.tomdurhamsculpture.com


phone 843-860-0267

q)How did you get started making art?

a)Comic books I loved copying the pictures and then... seeing Michelangelo's Florentine Pieta' at the 1964 World's Fair, I was 9 at the time. I had never seen art before that and the experience has stayed with me to this day.

q)How would you describe your art?

a)It is the metamorphosis of life experiences always merging more than one idea into another and combining more than one visual form together. It is a personal mythology that continues to grow.

q)Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

a)Love of literature from classical mythology to contemporary novels the likes of Umberto Eco. The visual sources of inspiration come from love of renaissance art, surrealism, and the symbolists. However the most personal source of inspiration comes from depths of depression, something I have faced off and on for most of my life, art is my way of coping with life's misfortunes.

q)What other artists inspire you?

a)Michelangelo, Hellenistic Greek sculptors, Rodin, Goya, Dali. Many contemporary artists do great work I just don't get a chance to see enough of it.

q)Where can someone purchase your works?

a)The galleries seem to come and go and in America they only remember you when you have a show, so the best way is to contact me through my website and studio.


q)What is your main medium of choice? That is a hard question for me to answer, I am a

a)Sculptor who loves to draw as much as sculpt and at the same time draw with the computer, it is all the same to me yet all the work comes from the perspective of a sculptor.

q)What are you working on now?

a)I most recently started archiving older work from when I was in my 20's, some nice ideas but mostly unfulfilled, so I started reworking them in the computer. I mean reworking them to realize what I had only imagined them to be back then bringing a new more mature experience and outlook to them. The most current one is "Life of a Moth".

q)What advice could you give to someone who wants to be an artist?

a)Work from your heart and stay with your convictions, you don't have to make work just to sell. Create a narrative that can grow as you grow and mature, too many young artists technique with style and lock themselves into a myopic view of art.

q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?

a)Watching movies, playing games on the computer, reading, and reading. I wish I could say sex too but life has taken an hiatus from me at the moment.


q) What does music, in its entirety, mean to you?

a)A soundtrack to life's experiences.Don't get me wrong sometimes it does move me and it is on all the time, but I am always doing something else with it playing in the background.

q) What does art, in its entirety, mean to you?

a)Life, love, soul, home, escape, hope, what else is there. Like most artists I have given up a lot to work full time as an artist, and yet I would never change my choices art is always first.


q) Are there some web sites that You would like to recommend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?

a)Yes I am always searching the web for art and good art groups.

Here are a few sites I would recommend.








0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page